So…I don’t use Bluehost anymore. I’ve made a fair amount from affiliate marketing through Bluehost over the years, but their product has gone so far downhill I cannot recommend them anymore. :/
Currently I strongly recommend Sierra and Siteground. You can check out all the hosts WP for Church recommends on our ‘Use These Hosts‘ page.
Before anything is designed. Before the blog is set up. Before ANYTHING happens you have to choose a company to host your church site. Well what does that mean?
Web hosts are companies that provide space on a server owned or leased for use by clients, as well as providing Internet connectivity, typically in a data center. Basically they are like a digital storage unit that you pay a small monthly fee for to house your church site.
There are literally only two hosting companies that I recommend on a consistent basis. One is Bluehost and the other is Media Temple. I will give you reasons for both, but before I do, can I save you some trouble as well? Don’t use GoDaddy…it’s a pain. I know it has a big name and it is good for domains (your website’s name) but for hosting and building it’s really just junk in my opinion. Thank me later for saving you a lot of confusion…
- Their service, reliability and usability is the best.
- Bluehost has worked hard to make their Control Panel easier to use. This is where you will work on some backend stuff. It’s also where you go if you somehow break your church site. So the fact that it is simple to navigate means a ton to us ministry types that are new to this!
- Bluehost has partnered with MOJO Marketplace to make installing WordPress a breeze. Once you are hosting you can set up a WordPress blog in all of two minutes!
- They also offer courteous and professional 24 hour in-house technical support for your hosting account 7 days of the week all year long. No lie, I love that I can chat with a bluehost technician at any time. Their help center is awesome.
- For $4.95 a month you can host unlimited websites, email accounts and domains; all on one account. Bluehost uses custom built servers, this provides the most stable and reliable hosting environment. That means if you have a personal ministry site, a church site, and even sites for various sub ministries they can all be hosted for the same price on the same plan. Elsewhere you have to pay for a seperate hosting plan for each site.
- Their services are really easy to use.
- MT doesn’t have Control Panel…so don’t break your church site unless you know how to use something call File Transfer Protocol. But they do have the BEST email set up. This quick addition adds credibility to any ministry.
- Dedicated WordPress hosting. For $22 a month you can have dedicated hosting for up to three wordpress sites.
- They provide up to 20 GB of storage on their servers for WordPress users.
- Their help center is on point! Our church’s site had to be transferred from another company to MT and their help peoples walked us through the whole thing and then some.
So, who’s the winner?
Ultimately it is up to you to pick your own host, but I have hosted sites on both of these platforms and for the beginner that is going to be working on their own church site (and possibly breaking it a few times in the process) my vote is Bluehost. My favorite feature is that it uses C-Panel to manage the back end of your website and with one or two youtube videos you can quickly learn how to navigate it.
Do you use someone else to host? Let us know in the comments.
Hey guys! I am a church leadership and creative guy living in the Atlanta area with my awesome wife and two kiddos. I've worked on staff with a number of churches as well as traveled full time as a conference speaker. Now, I work full time at The Reach Company helping ministries and businesses tell their story and make an impact online.
Make Your Church Shine!
Our goal is to help church leaders and volunteers get the most out of their WordPress site. Join our mailing list to get all the new WordPress Tools & Tuts (and the occasional WordPress deal) right in your inbox!
[…] our hosting. In my opinion, it’s just the best for ministry purposes! Maybe you missed the Host Wars between our two top competitors. Go check it […]
Greetings I am so thrilled I found your blog, I really found
you by error, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a tremendous post
and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I
have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent work.
Thankfulness to my father who told me regarding this webpage, this weblog is in fact remarkable.
I have read so many content about the blogger lovers but this post
is truly a good article, keep it up.
Saved as a favorite, I really like your site!